- Draw a rectangle on graph paper.
- How many other shapes can you draw inside it? A square, more rectangles, triangles, circles.
- What is the area inside the rectangle?
- What is the perimeter measurement.
- Go into one room in your house.
- Estimate how many rectangles are in the room.
- Write or draw on a piece of paper how many things in the room are made of rectangles. (For example a bookcase--and how many rectangles does it have in it--the shelves and the books)
- Is the room a rectangle? Can you find the area of the room?
Can you find 20 rectangles around you in 30 seconds or less? Hint: you're already staring at one reading this.