- How many pairs does each person in your house have? How many individual shoes does that make? Approximately how long would they be if they were put in a line?
- Using all the pairs of shoes in the house, try to organize them by style: Running shoes, dress shoes, sandals, etc. Make a bar graph of your findings.
- Measure your shoes. What is the length and the width?
- Can you draw a shoe portrait? (My 6th grade teacher assigned us to do this once and it was so much fun--instead of a self portrait a shoe portrait!)
- Estimate how long you think a shoe with laces is. Take it out and measure. Were you right? Can you re-lace the shoe the same way again?
How can you have mathematical fun with shoes?